Long dog walks and baking cake makes for a great way to spend the May bank holiday!
Harley had his first trip to a local wildlife park yesterday, but even after 40mins he was still pulling on his lead… so time to look into a no-pull harness I think. I have never had to get one for any of the dogs I’ve had growing up, but he is making his eyes go red from pulling so hard!
But anyway- while he was grumpy with me for giving him a shower I decided to play with an old Nutella cake recipie I have:
Nutella Marble Cake
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g self-raising flour
- 2tbsp Nutella (or chocolate spread)
- 1tsp vanilla essence
For the icing:
- 75g icing sugar
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 25g butter, softened
- 1.5tbsp milk
- 1tbsp Nutella (or chocolate spread)
- Chopped roasted hazelnuts to sprinkle on top
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the egg slowly, mixing small amounts in at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Sift in the flour, folding gently to combine the mixture.
- Pour half of your mix into a greased and lined oblong tin ( definitely recommend reusable baking paper for this).
- Melt your Nutella until it runs off a spoon easily and drizzle in the tray.
- Now the fun bit! Marble it with a skewer until it’s what ever pattern you desire 😊
- Now you can cover it up with the rest of your mix and bake on gas mark 4 for 25mins.
Once cooked and cooled you can make the icing, if your feeling lazy you can always spread the top with some melted Nutella, but this Nutella buttercream works really well!
- Mix together the butter and icing sugar before adding the cocoa powder and Nutella to the mixture along with the milk.
- Now, using a hand mixer, combine everything until it’s fluffy- it’s that simple!
- Spend this on top of your cake with a palette knife and sprinkle over the hazelnuts to finish.
My original tray bake recipie said this serves 18- but I cut mine into 16 pieces which still felt a little small, so maybe go for 12!